Tuesday, July 26, 2005
Twighlight Zone Recovery
"ROD SERLING: Picture if you will... a member of Alcoholics Anonymous with five years of continuous sobriety. A woman whose desire to stay sober was once strong, but lately has been wavering. Far beyond being just restless, irritable, and discontent, she is about as fun to be with as a scorching case of hemorrhoids. (Her) actions have caused her to slip into...The Resentment Zone."
- Tony, quote from 'The Resentment Zone' skit
Tony's Recovery Skits Here
Egomaniac with an Inferiority Complex
I have to remember to blog these sayings:
- I'm not conceited, I'm just perfect.
- I'm the most humble person I know.
- I must make sure people know I don't care what they think of me.
(Between you & me Dear Diary, I'm sure glad these don't apply to me!)
P.S: I'm getting tired of thinking only of myself... maybe I can ask someone else to think only of me for a while.
Slices of Homeless Life
"Powerful, evocative urban street photography. Up close and personal portraits of homeless people, including multimedia audio and video content - 'Street Stories' by the homeless in their own words":
Homeless Images by Chuck Ferris - Urban Street Photography
Friday, July 22, 2005
Emotions and Recovery:
"It is terribly amusing how many different climates of feeling one can go through in a day."
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh
"Artificial selection studies do not rule out individual characteristics, such as emotionality, which may be selected co-incidentally with a preference for alcohol and, in turn, influence the tendency to drink."
- Neil Carlson et al, 'The Science of Behavior'
"It is unlikely that genes drive us to drink."
- Robert Plomin, 'Behavioral Genetics'
A man was doing his buisiness at a public urinal, when he noticed that the fellow next to him was looking his way. "Excuse me," the stranger suddenly piped up, "But by any chance were you circumcised by Rabbi Barkowitz?" The man was surprised, "As a matter of fact I was, but how did you know that?" The fellow replied: "Because he drinks too much and always cuts at an angle - you're peeing on my shoe."
Sign at a Japanese Train Station
Piggy Recovery Group Site:
Pigs in Space NA Group Website
Online Flash movie presentation:
A whimsical take on finding wisdom in everyday life
More Journey with Spirit Movies Here
- Journey with Spirit Home Page -
"A recent Gallup study showed 66% of Americans were tired of the negative news that is featured and focused on by the mass media." (JJ sent me this link - thanks JJ!):
Positive News, Inspiration, Motivational Quotes
Visit JJ's Blog Here
Netty Web Man
"I have worn many hats. Some of my least favorite being professional Drunk, town Drunk, falling down Drunk and I will never forget when I was the Drunk with the 'right to remain silent'":
The Netty Web Man's Site
James Doohan 1920-2005
Star Trek's Scotty beams up at age 85:
James Doohan Official Web Page
Click Here to visit the Official StarTrek.com Website
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
Collection of George Clooney (aka Batman) Quotes:
- "I don't like to share my personal life... it wouldn't be personal if I shared it."
- "I'm a method actor. I spent years training for the drinking and carousing I had to do in this film."
- "Run for office? No. I've slept with too many women, I've done too many drugs, and I've been to too many parties."
- "I was in a bar and I said to a friend, 'You know, we've become those 40-year-old guys we used to look at and say, isn't it sad?'"
- "I'm certainly the last person to give advice on, well, anything."
- "I resolve not to drink liquids before donning the Bat-suit."
Warner Bros Official Batman Site
Friday, July 15, 2005
Quote from the film, 'The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra':
HUMAN: And do your people love to get intoxicated as our people do?
ALIEN: We gave up getting drunk eons of your years ago. Why, as we observed you from afar, we thought of you as little more than pleasant entertaining monkeys, so dirty and foul - you have taught us a lot!
Feel like you're on an endless roller coaster
because of your or someone else's addiction?
You don't have to stay on the ride, see here:
Click Here For Addiction Recovery Articles
Alcoholics Anonymous: Letter to Anyone New to A.A.
Narcotics Anonymous: Who, What, How and Why
For Family & Friends of alcoholics: What is Al-Anon?
Family & Friends of drug addicts: About Nar-Anon
You don't have to be stoned to Rock!
"Sobriety... especially in the world of music... is anything but dull":
Selfish Steam - Official Band Website
Rock band playing original life inspired music and covers:
Humble Streak - Official Band Website
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
A Collection of Ozzy Osbourne Quotes:
- "My mother was an amateur singer, my father was an amateur drunk."
- "I am a raging alcoholic and a raging addict and I didn't want to see my kids do the same thing."
- "I can honestly say, all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly attributed to drugs and alcohol. I mean, I would never urinate at the Alamo at nine o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober."
- "I never go on stage drunk or stoned or anything."
- "When I was a practicing alcoholic, I was unbelievable. One side effect was immense suspicion. I'd come off tour like Inspector Clouseau on acid: 'Where'd this cornflake come from? It wasn't here before.'"
- "Being sober on a bus is, like, totally different than being drunk on a bus."
- "I've had every known chemical - cocaine, booze - and tobacco is the hardest one in the world for me to quit... It's suggestion by looking at something. You see a cigarette, and it makes you want to smoke!"
- "To be honest, I am a little bit crazy. I accept that. I've always been outrageous. I've never been the every day you. I've always gone over the top with everything."
- "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
10. Introduces his co-pilots Johnnie Walker and Jack Daniels.
9. Wings on his hat made of folded cocktail straws.
8. In lieu of PA safety instructions, he sings "Kung Fu Fighting".
7. Long rambling announcements about what animal shapes he's seeing in the clouds.
6. At security, passengers remove shoes - he removes pants.
5. Giggling fit every time he says the word "cockpit."
4. Delays takeoff to de-ice his mojito.
3. You experience heavy turbulence and you're only taxiing to the runway.
2. Invites all passengers to a "layover" in his hotel room.
1. Midflight asks, "Which one of you losers is the designated driver?"
End ALL the Pain
Self-injury, addiction, mental disorders, and other sensitive issues:
End ALL The Pain Website
This 'Jesus Saves' website lays out nine Christian steps for addiction recovery:
9 Steps to Freedom Page
Jesus Saves - Addictions
Jesus Saves - Home
(Note: If you encounter any pop-ups they are generated by the linked sites)
Drunk called ambulance for a lift home
"American Pie" star's popularity questioned after media doesn't cover his DUI
Man charged with DUI after driving lawnmower while drunk
Flavoured oxygen in a can marketed as hangover and aging cure
Patron Saint of lost items statue goes missing
Mass panic in Siberia after locals mistake tornado for an alien invasion
Annual Redneck Games with toilet seats, hub caps, mud, and pigs feet
Guidance counsellor advised man to run around naked shouting at trees
Couple gets probation and parenting classes after hiring stripper for son's birthday
Bear raids kitchens after knocking on doors to trick his way in
World's most expensive Teddy
"Step carefully and slowly,
Be not afraid to try,
Adventure is before you,
Now spread your wings and fly!"
This is part of an inspirational message you can just read or send to a friend:
Fly - Inspirational Message
Inspirational Messages, Quote Pages, and much more Here
Claudia's Recovery Path
I received the Top Ten List and the Fly Inspiration link in Claudia's free tri-weekly e-mail newsletter ("safe reading but not just for those of us in recovery"). Click below to subscribe or just enjoy her recovery pages:
I first clicked into this non-recovery-related blog well over a year ago - the use of graphics in blogs was still rare then, and after seeing the format used here I started adding images to dryblog:
Sugar 'N Spicy Blog
Friday, July 08, 2005
"I think it's no coincidence that a shot is called a shot. You throw back that little jigger of liquor with the same urgency with which a gun fires ammunition into open space. You feel the same ringing in your ears, the same kickback in your arms and chest. The first time you drink, you don't aim to get drunk. The thrill of pulling the trigger is itself enough. If you like the crack of the rifle, you'll be back for a second go, which is when you'll pay attention to the crosshairs and fire enough shots to hit the mark."
- Koren Zalickas 'Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood'
Picture source: Media Images
Still playing Russian Roulette with your life?
You don't have to - for a solution and a way out, click below:
Narcotics and Alcoholism - Find Peace - Find Serenity - Find Recovery
How to find AA in the UK
What Kind of Drunk Are You?
I haven't tried all the tests & answers so click at your own risk!
Find out what kind of drunk you used to be (or are)
AA Grapevine July Edition
Special section on AA Worldwide, you can read selected stories here:
Current Issue Here
AA Rule #62
Al-Anon & Alateen
Forum Magazine for family and friends of alcoholics:
New July Issue
The NA Way Online
Stories and pictures from the July edition are just a click away:
NA Way July Magazine
July NA Recovery Cartoon
Steps For Recovery
This month's new issue is now available online:
Tuesday, July 05, 2005
"The typical image of the alcoholic is an old boozer on a park bench, swigging from a bottle of tawny port in a brown paper bag, ranting at the pigeons. But 'boozers' actually represent a small percentage of people who have an alcohol problem. There's a much larger percentage of people who drink over the levels thought to be safe, but who hold down full-time jobs, have a home, and good social and family networks. In fact, 'problem drinkers' - that is, people who drink more than the recommended limit of four drinks per day for men and two for women - outnumber 'alcoholics' by about four to one. They make up about 25 per cent of the population... They're heavy social drinkers - who binge drink, or drink large amounts regularly, for whom alcohol is often part of a culture or a lifestyle... But whether they know it or not, their high alcohol consumption is putting them at risk: of accidents, domestic violence, and serious illnesses like pancreatitis and liver disease."
- Peter Lavelle, 'Cutting Back the Booze'
- The man addicted to brake fluid said he could stop any time.
- Two guys caught drinking battery acid will soon be charged.
- She was only a whisky maker but he loved her still.
- Switching from alcohol to drugs is bad because you'll be high and dry.
- Taking drugs is a misstep that could cause a bad trip.
- Making your own hard liquor is a whiskey business.
- Looting a drugstore is called pillaging.
Pun of the Day
I found the above puns at this website, now in the dryblog 'daily readings' list:
Punny Stuff Website
Drink Puns Page 1
Page 2 -- Page 3
Journey in recovery, the good, the bad and the ugly:
One Day at a Time Blog
But for the Grace...
Alcoholic Thoughts Blessed with Recovery:
Grateful 4 Grace
Daily life of sobriety of a fifty something independant woman:
Life on Whidbey
JJ's blog is moving from AOL to this new BlogSpot address:
What Are You Addicted To? Website
"You are not addicted to anything? Are you kidding?" Maybe something here:
What is totally addictive for you?